Like A Head Halter Worn By A Horse The Petsafe Gentle Leader Slows Down Dogs That Pull And Encourages Them To Walk At Your Side
Pros: Affordable, simple design, padded noseband, five sizes, eight colors
Cons: Dangerous for overaroused dogs, dog must be desensitized to head collar before use, won’t work on flat-faced dogs, no safety tether
- Good for: Dogs that pull
- Available sizes: Petite to extra-large
- Available colors: Black, deep purple, fawn, raspberry, red, royal blue, silver, apple green
- Warranty: One-year limited warranty
Most no-pull harnesses are worn on the body of a dog. But the Petsafe Gentle Leader is worn on the head, putting the walker’s control in front of the animal the same way a head halter puts a walker in front of a horse. In some cases, a head collar can be more effective than a body harness because a dog’s head is more sensitive than its chest and back.
The Gentle Leader is not for every dog that pulls, however. Reactive dogs, those that are prone to high arousal or a lot of jumping around on walks, and those that are uncomfortable in a head collar shouldn’t use the Gentle Leader, according to veterinary behaviorist Carlo Siracusa, associate professor of clinical animal behavior and welfare at University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine. “What I’m mostly concerned about when a dog struggles is the possible injury to the neck and the spine,” he said. “In some cases, is good and in other cases it is not.”
The Durable Comfortable Ruffwear Web Master Harnesshas A Padded Handle For Easy Lifting When Your Dog Needs Extra Support
Pros: Padded handle, comfortable, five sizes, durable material and hardware, reflective trim
Cons: Only three colors
- Good for: Senior, disabled, or injured dogs; dogs that don’t pull
- Available sizes: XXS to large/XL
- Available colors: Blue, red, gray
- Warranty: Limited warranty
It’s never more obvious that not all dog harnesses are created equal than when you have an injured or aging pet. Regular activities like going up the stairs or climbing into the car may require an enormous effort. If your dog needs a little extra support to live their best life, can make all the difference.
The Ruffwear Web Master is made for comfortable everyday wear for dogs of all abilities with foam padding sewn into the panel that rests on your dog’s spine and on two of the adjustable straps. Reflective material lines the edges of the harness, and the leash clips to a sturdy aluminum ring on top.
The flexible and lightweight harness can be easily adjusted in five places to accommodate all ranges of mobility. But it’s the reinforced, padded handle at the top that really makes a difference for pups with special needs. “It’s an excellent harness for rehab from injuries,” according to Slovikoski. “It fits so well and has that great support handle on the back.”
While this is the most expensive harness on our list and the color options are limited, the Ruffwear Web Master can help you maintain your dog’s quality of life, no matter what stage they are in.
The Ruffwear Front Range Harnessis A Comfortable Harness For Active Dogs And Will Hold Up To Years Of Use
Pros: Padded, wide straps that won’t chafe, can be worn all day, comes in 13 different colors and 5 sizes, easy to put on and take off, durable
Cons: Chest piece twists and gaps with serious pullers, not quick-drying
- Available sizes: XXS to L/XL
- Available colors: 8 options, including gray, red, teal, and orange
- Warranty: Limited warranty for manufacturing defects
Designed for outdoor adventures, the can take a lot of punishment while keeping your dog comfortable. The foam padding on the chest and belly prevents rubbing and chafing, and the built-in clasps are covered with fabric so they don’t touch any part of a dog’s body.
“The padding is nice because it doesn’t rub on my thin-coated dog,” said San Francisco-based dog trainer Scarlett Cermak, owner of Embark Today. “I also really like that there is a back-clip option because there are times, believe it or not, when I want my dogs to pull, like in sports like canicross or joring.”
The harness is easy to put on and remove, with two clasps and two adjustment buckles. There are two leash attachments: an aluminum V-ring on the back and a reinforced webbing attachment on the chest plate.
The Front Range doesn’t reduce pulling as well as the other harnesses we recommend. Although it is normal for a front-clip harness to move when your dog pulls, the Front Range has more twist than our other top picks, causing it to shift to the side with consistent pulling.
The Padded Hurtta Weekend Warrior Harnessholds Up Beautifully No Matter How Big The Adventure
Pros: Ultra-durable, padded, five sizes, six colors, strong hardware, easy to clean, good for intensive activity, reflective material
Cons: Pricey, no warranty
- Good for: Outdoor adventuring, dogs that don’t pull
- Available sizes: Fives sizes, from 16-to-18-in. chest to 39-to-40-in. chest
- Available colors: Black, purple, green camo, coral camo, neon yellow, neon orange
- Warranty: None
If you’re doing a lot of strenuous outdoor activities with your pup, you need a harness that fits comfortably on all-day adventures and won’t fall apart with repeated rock scrambling and ocean swims. Enter the , an extremely durable harness that is built for comfort. The soft, padded straps have four points of adjustment, two on the neck strap and two on the chest strap, to help you get a snug fit on a wide range of body types. Two buckles on the chest strap mean that you don’t have to lift your dog’s legs to get them into the harness.
The brand is a favorite of certified professional dog trainer Erika Slovikoski, owner of Stardog in San Francisco, California. “I like Hurtta harnesses because they are extremely well made durable material and buckles that look like new for years,” she said. ” allows for full range of motion of forelimbs, too, which is so important to me.”
What Type Of Harness Is Best For The Temperament And Activity Level Of Labrador Retrievers
Due to their outgoing personality, strength, and need for exercise, we can’t emphasize enough how vital durability is for Labrador Retriever harnesses.
We suggest one that is made out of the strongest materials available and has sturdy buckles and rings that can withstand a great deal of pressure.
Other features you choose will depend on the activities you intend to pursue with your Lab, whether it’s for going for a hike and then swim in a lake or taking strolls around your neighborhood.
Ezydog Quick Fit Custom Fit Adjustable Dog Harness Will Take You A Few Seconds To Set Up
EzyDog Quick Fit Custom Fit Adjustable Dog Harness is the best harness for a golden retriever. It is a quick-fit item that takes you just a few minutes to put on your dog.
Therefore, you can save your time and do not let your dog wait for a long time. With the neoprene pad, your dog will always feel comfortable and easy to enjoy in many exercises.
Besides, it also features the reflective function that is helpful at night. You can find out your puppy easily in the dark area.
The item includes cushion type foam so that your dog can not be hurt when wearing it. It is like a collar that is simple to use but effective. In addition to this, the waterproof neoprene material prevents the dog from getting wet and feeling uncomfortable when they jump to the water or go in the rain.
The product has six sizes, so you can select the one which fits your dog most. Besides, with the plentiful color chart, we are sure that you will be attracted.
- The modern reflective allows you to find your dog easily at night.
- There are six sizes and many colors: black, blue, candy, chocolate, orange, pink, red, etc.
- It features the quick-slip system to save your time.
- The waterproof neoprene material helps your dog avoid getting wet.
- If you choose the wrong size, you will make your dog uncomfortable.
Best Harness For Golden Retriever Puppy: Copatchy No Pull Adjustable Dog Harness
It’s a good idea to get your golden retriever used to wearing a harness from when he or she is a puppy. But it’s even more important to ensure the harness is comfortable. Here’s what to know about it.
- Free replacements
- This harness is great for puppies because it has an anti-pull feature that prevents putting stress on your dog’s neck. It also prevents choking so that your puppy won’t associate wearing a harness with discomfort.
- The harness contains sponge padding so that it’s more comfortable.
- It contains clips that are placed on your dog’s chest and neck. This ensures that your harness can be easily put on and removed.
- The harness has an extra handle on top, which makes it even easier to control your dog when taking him or her for a walk.
- The harness contains a breathable mess material so that your dog can feel protected but also comfortable to move around and have fun.
- Some people who have purchased this harness have stated that it isn’t as durable as it should be, with reports of the harness’s fabric breaking.
- It’s more expensive than some adult dog harnesses.
- It’s both lightweight and durable.
- The company offers free replacements if you experience sizing issues.
- The harness comes in five colors.
- It has a reflective pattern on it to keep your puppy even safer when you walk him or her at night.
Things To Keep In Mind While Using A Collar Or Harness For Your Golden Retriever
Although, we personally prefer a harness over collars, if your Golden responds well to collars, then that’s fine too.
When sizing a collar or harness, it’s recommended to have a 2 fingers’ width gap between the harness or the collar and the dog’s neck. Keep in mind that the fit can differ according to the positioning of the dog. A collar or harness that fits well while standing might get tight when the dog rolls over.
Copatchy No Pull Reflective Adjustable Dog Harness A Quality Item For Your Dog
Copatchy No Pull Reflective Adjustable Dog Harness with Handle is a high-quality product for a golden retriever. Many reviewers say that they use this product for many years because of the outstanding features and the reasonable price.
It only takes you many minutes to put on the dog and adjust to fit his body. This product is an ideal choice with a great sponge. It brings your puppy comfortable feelings and prevents him from choking without stress on his chest.
As a result, your friends are free to do what they want: walking, running, jumping, etc. Furthermore, you can also train them easily. With the breathable material, you can control your dog well while they are in nice condition.
Like other advanced products, this item features the reflective function. This keeps your dog safe in the early morning or at night.
Furthermore, it is also easy for you to find them in the dark condition. The product has five colors: black, blue, green, pink, red, and this can make your golden retriever feel excited.
Besides, it offers six sizes from XX-Small to X-large, please be careful to choose the best harness for golden retriever which suits your puppy.
- The waterproof material keeps your dog always dry and makes him comfortable.
- It is easy to adjust the product.
- It features an impressive reflective system.
- The item allows you to control your golden retrievers well while they are in the commodious status.
- The price is a bit high.
Best Bargain Harness For Golden Retrievers: Copatchy Adjustable Dog Harness
A quality dog harness doesn’t have to break the bank. This colorful harness from Copatchy is inexpensive and reviewers praise its fit and ease of use. It’s made from lightweight, breathable mesh, with an attached handle for extra control.
Copatchy Adjustable Dog Harness
For an affordable but quality harness, this one is a nice option that’s made with lightweight, breathable mesh.
What Makes The Best Harness For Golden Retriever Puppy 5 Top Picks In 2020
If you own a golden retriever, you would want to start walking it as soon as it is appropriate. This can only be done when you have the best harness. Even if you have a puppy, it is advisable to get the best harness for golden retriever puppy.
With many options in the market, sometimes it can be tough to pick the right one. It is why we recommend that you pick the right harness after going through this guide. Go ahead and check out more about what makes the right harness for a puppy and how to pick the right one.
Best No Pull Harness For Golden Retrievers: Rabbitgoo Dog Harness No Pull
If your golden retriever always wants to pull you for a walk or is an escape artist that tries to get out of their harness, this is the best no-pull harness that will keep them more secure.
- This overhead harness is easy to put on and remove, thanks to its quick-release buckles.
- It has an anti-pulling front ring. This makes it the best golden retriever no pull harness as it helps to redirect your dog’s forward pulling motion to make walking your dog more comfortable.
- It has a top handle for extra control, like if your dog sees a cat and wants to chase after it. Just use the handle and prevent a disaster from happening.
- The harness has four adjustable straps that are put around the dog’s body for greater support. These include two chest straps and two neck straps.
- It contains soft cushion padding that feels comfortable and protects your dog’s skin.
- It has reflective strips to keep your dog visible in poor lighting conditions.
- This harness only comes in buffalo plaid .
- The harness has to be put over the dog’s head, which might be difficult to do if your dog gets nervous or jumps around while you’re trying to put the harness on.
- This harness is made from durable nylon oxford, so it will have a long lifespan.
- It’s made out of breathable mesh to keep your dog cool. Perfect for those walks on hot summer days!
Best Harness For Golden Retriever Puppies: Funkeen Adjustable Dog Harness
A quality dog harness doesn’t have to break the bank. This colourful number from FUNKEEN is one of the best harnesses for Golden Retriever puppies and comes in super cheap at under £10. It’s made from lightweight, breathable mesh, with an attached handle for extra control.
Golden retriever owner review:“This is a quality harness. I’ve been using them for my golden retriever pups since they were 12 weeks old—they are now 19kg and still can wear them comfortably. There’s been no wear and the harnesses are still intact even when they play rough and tumble while running out in the fields.”
Factors To Consider When Choosing The Best Harness For Golden Retriever
Golden Retriever harnesses come in a variety of styles and uses, and before buying one, you will have to think about your unique needs.
Here are things to consider:
- Comfort & Adjustability: Your dog’s comfort should always be your number one concern! Since Golden Retrievers have sensitive skin, look for a harness that can be adjusted across the chest, belly, and back to prevent chafing and skin irritation.
- Reflective Straps: Reflective material will keep your Goldie visible even in low light conditions, thus increasing his safety during walks.
- Sturdy Buckles: Goldens aren’t very large, but they are highly-energetic and excitable. Hence, strong metal buckles are essential for keeping your dog safe and secure during walks.
- No-Pull Design: Is a necessity if your Golden Retriever likes to pull during walks. A no-pull harness comes with a front ring that offers better control and can help you in training your dog how to heal.
Best Adventure Harness For Golden Retrievers: Embark Active Dog Harness
This rugged adventure dog harness is lightweight and durable, made from no-rip nylon with comfortable padding. It has several points of adjustment for a secure fit, and two attachment points to suit your walking needs. It’s perfect for hiking with your Golden Retriever!
Embark Active Dog Harness
Constructed with no-rip nylon and neoprene padding, this lightweight harness is a great option to use while hiking with your Golden.
Tips For Getting Your Labrador Retriever Accustomed To Using A Harness
Labrador Retrievers are adventurous, energetic, curious, and incredibly strong dogs that may very well pull your arm out of your socket on your first walk. A harness is the best way to help them learn to walk on a leash without pulling, yanking, or tugging too much.
Here are some tips to help your Labrador Retriever grow accustomed to using a harness.
Tips For Getting Your Golden Retriever Accustomed To Using A Harness
If you have always used a leash and collar for any dog, you might already know the problems you can face. Swapping to a harness can be a bit of an adjustment for your furry friend, but it can be one of the best changes you make. All you have to do is get your dog accustomed to the change.
Best Harness For Golden Retriever Reviews & Buying Guide For 2020
- Top handle
- A harness is no good if your dog’s uncomfortable. This rabbitgoo harness has breathable air mesh to make your dog feel more comfortable when wearing it.
- It comes with two leash attachment rings. These are a chest leash and back leash attachments.
- There are important benefits to both: the chest leash has a no-pull design, and it’s perfect for training your dog to wear a leash or harness.
- The back leash has a top handle so you can quickly control your dog, such as if you’re walking or jogging together and you dog tries to run into the road.
- The buckles secure the harness but are also really easy to take off.
- You won’t have to worry about your dog feeling pain or discomfort in this harness, thanks to how it contains four adjustable straps around the dog’s body.
- The harness contains reflective threads so you and your dog will be visible when jogging at dawn or dusk.
- Some people who have purchased this harness for their dog have reported that the extra-large size is a little smaller than they expected.
- Others have noted that the straps need to be checked and tightened regularly as they do become loose over time. This is very important to do so that you prevent accidents from happening.
- This dog harness comes in four sizes: small, medium, large, and extra-large, so you’re sure to find one for your golden retriever no matter what his or her growth stage.
- It comes in nine stunning colors.
Embark Adventure Dog Harness Brings The Best Feelings For Your Dog
According to many reviewers, the Embark Adventure Dog Harness is one of their best choices. This best harness for golden retriever is easy to set up.
You just need to take a few minutes to adjust it to be ready for a long journey with your lovely friends. In addition to this, with the handle on their back, you can control your dog if needed.
The harness is expensive, high-quality, and durable so that you can make use of it for a long time. You can use the front attachment point to train your dog.
It is slightly, so it will not apply much pressure on the dog body. Hence, they will feel confident to take part in walking, hiking, and camping.
Moreover, the appearance is fashionable. There are four sizes for the dog with a different weight. Choose a suitable size to bring the most inconvenience to your pets.
- Many consumers complain about the adjustment flexibility in the neck part.
Collar Or Harness For Golden Retriever Cruising With A Collar On
For us to better understand what to choose between collar or harness for Golden Retriever, let us first identify the uses and types of dog collar available. Usually, dog collars are commonly helpful during a walk with your Goldies. As you look over the market, you will definitely find various types and styles of dog collars that can suit the adorable coat of your Golden Retriever.
However, some designs of dog collars may generally cause discomfort during training when the Goldies tend to pull it. The good thing is that a dog collar may not give an issue when the dog has long hair, like the Golden Retriever.
- Easily injures the neck area of the dogs
- Not applicable for smaller dog breeds
Below are the different types of dog collars and check which one fits your Goldies.
1-Leather Dog Collar
Basically, leather is a natural type of material that is less irritating. That’s why most pet owners opt to use the traditional leather dog collars for their dogs because of their lesser potential for allergic reactions. The leather dog collar has the ability to handle moisture and is generally durable. Moreover, this type of dog collar comes in different styles like the addition of spikes, bells, or studs.
Aside from that, the leather dog collar also has various colors to choose from. They are usually round in shape making it easier and comfortable on the dog’s coat. Yet, be considerate of the thickness here as it may become too heavy for your pooch.
2-Nylon Dog Collar
How To Train Your Golden Retriever To Love Wearing Their Harness
Once you’ve decided which of these top harnesses is the best match for your Golden Retriever and what size to get, it’s important to introduce the harness to them in a positive way.
Rather than simply slapping the harness on them and heading out for a walk, spend a little time getting them used to it using positive reinforcement training.
This excellent video by trainer Chirag Patel shows how you can build a positive association with the harness and get your dog to cooperate with putting it on.
With some patience and good treats, your dog will be happy to put the harness on while holding still.
The harness will also become associated with going outside on walks, so that will build positive feelings about the harness, too.
Ultimately, a harness is a tool to help you and your dog enjoy life together with more ease and comfort.
So whether your pup likes leisurely neighborhood strolls, or they love long, adventurous hikes, a non-restrictive harness can be a great option for your Golden Retriever.
Have any questions about which harness to get for your Golden?
Let me know down in the comments!
P.S. Getting a golden retriever puppy? Check out the Golden Retriever Puppy Handbook!