Tips In Grooming A Golden Retriever
Grooming a Golden Retrievers coat is a big task so you should always be prepared. A few tips and tricks will help save you from the hassle:
Set up a grooming station
Before you start raking all the loose fur off your Golden Retriever, you should assign a grooming station in your home. For my dog, I picked a spot in the garage so the fur will not spread in my house. You can also use the bathtub so it will be easier to collect the hair.
Never groom your Golden Retriever in the living room. This will result in a large mess that youll be tasked to clean later on. Its a nightmare, believe me.
Use a detangling spray
Golden Retrievers coats are prone to tangles and knots. Instead of pulling into these twists, you should use a detangling spray. This will serve as lubrication on the tangled fur so you can smooth it out using your hands. Remember, you should never smooth out a tangle by pulling it with a brush. That will hurt your pooch and it will make grooming time a horrible experience for the Fido.
Give the dog a bath
Golden Retrievers get pretty smelly fast since they love romping outdoors. You should give the doggo a bath at least once every two months to prevent mats. It will keep your Goldies coat in good condition. Just remember to give it a nice brush before bath time. This way, it would be easier for you to hand-comb the coat when applying shampoo.
Give it a trim
Grooming The Nails And Feet Of Your Golden Retriever
When a Goldens nails are too long, you will hear them scrape when the dog walks on hard surfaces. The claws should not protrude over the pad and should not touch the ground when standing. A puppys nails grow very fast and need to be trimmed at least every 2 to 3 weeks using a nail clipper to avoid nail splitting and cracking. If you trim your dogs nails regularly, your dog becomes used to it and wont mind.
During Golden Retriever grooming be mindful that only 3 to 5mm of the nail should be trimmed to avoid cutting the quick of the nail.
Most Goldens have white or light brown toenails so you can see the pink quick. The quick is the blood vessels and nerves that supply the nail and cutting the quick is a big NO! Dont forget the dew claws these are located slightly higher up on the inner leg.
Purchase a specially made cutter for dogs nails to assist you with your Golden Retriever grooming routine. There are several styles of nail trimmer available. Plier type nail cutters with a scissor action suit larger dog breeds. Choose a good quality claw cutter with sharp stainless steel blades and a comfortable handle with a good grip.
After a rainy walk, clean your dogs feet in lukewarm water with antiseptic solution, dry carefully and apply Vaseline for cracked pads or just anti fungus power.
Also Check: How To Draw A Golden Retriever Face
Golden Retrievers Are Long Haired
The Golden Retriever has a very long coat that can be either wavy or straight. The Labrador has a short, smooth and straight coat.
Goldens have a very long coat when compared to the Labrador Retriever.
A Golden Retriever is best suited to a family who have plenty of time for grooming! The Golden also has furry feather-like fur around their body. These areas are extra fluffy and include their ears, neck, paws and tail.
They both have a dense, double coat that makes their coat specialized for swimming.
Their outer coat is water-repellent and they have a thick undercoat to protect them from debris.
Both dogs are not a good choice for anyone looking for a hypoallergenic dog.
Don’t Miss: Neuter Golden Retriever
Water Resistant Leather Leash
About this item:
- GENUINE FULL GRAIN LEATHER LEASH for a lifetime of heavy duty use. Made from a single long piece of beautiful premium grade leather to last even through extreme conditions Four feet long, 5/8 inch wide and 1/8 in. thick.
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE Police and Military gauge training weight handles even the strongest working and service dogs. INDEPENDENTLY TESTED to OVER 245 lbs of Pulling Force. 4 foot length recommended by trainers worldwide.
- BEAUTIFUL, STRONG AND DURABLE Resists water & stains with minimal care, yet feels supple and wont tear at your hands or collect hair like nylon leashes when training, walking or running with your pet.
- PREMIUM NICKEL PLATED SOLID BRASS CLASP clips on and off the collar easily yet wont disengage without release by the trainer.
- BEST LIFETIME GUARANTEE If, for whatever reason, you dont absolutely Love your Leather Training Lead, just return it, and well refund every penny .
Bathing Your Golden Retriever
As with brushing, bathing is the pet-owners bonding time and should be an enjoyable moment for both you and your Golden Retriever.;
Because water flattens fur on your pets skin, bathing can also be done with a health inspection function in mind. Look closely for irregular bumps on your dogs skin or the presence of fleas or ticks.
One of the common questions any dog owner will ask is how often they should bathe their pet. Well, the answer to this question depends on a few factors:
Dogs with long fur will require more frequent baths compared to those with shorter fur. The obvious reason is that longer fur easily harbors dirt and makes it more difficult to shed it. But frequent bathing does not in any way mean every week.
If your dog spends more time indoors than outside, you may not need to bath it often. Dogs that are always engaged in outdoor activities may require a bath every time they are muddy.
- Dogs with skin conditions will need frequent baths as part of the curing process. However, consult with your veterinarian.
- In the absence of skin conditions or excessive dirt from extra outdoor activity, long-fur dogs like the Golden should be bathed at least once every three months.
- The most frequent you can consider bathing your dog is every two weeks . Anything more frequent than this can be potentially bad for your dogs skin and coat.
Recommended Reading: How To Clip A Golden Retriever
K9 Professional Dog Grooming Dryer
About this item:
Want to dry your golden retriever in under 10 mins! You can achieve that with this dryer, although it is more expensive than some out there. But this is one of those situations you get what you pay for. If you buy quality, your experience will be quality. This dryer will dry your golden in under 10 min, where others take about an hour. Who has the time!
Cut drying time in half! Great for heavy-coated breeds. More blowing power than comparable dryers! Choice of one motor for delicate jobs or two motors for more power. Portable and Lightweight. Two speeds, 118 CFM, 34,321 62,000 FPM, 18.5amps and 18 gauge steel body. Includes 10-foot hose, two different blower tips and two filters.
The Golden Retriever Coat
The first question that crosses a dog lovers mind when he/she sees a Goldie is how to maintain the dog and keep him glowing.
Golden Retrievers have a striking double coat that can come in various lengths. The coat should be wavy or slightly wavy but should never be curly according to the breed standards.
These canines have a dense and water-resistant outer coat with a fair amount of undercoat.
Unfortunately, these dogs shed throughout the year and have two heavy shedding seasons.
Heavy shedding occurs when the dog is blowing out his coat in preparation for warm or cold weather. The coat gets thick for the cold season and thinner for the warmer season.
Every coated dog sheds and grooming is the best way to minimize shedding as you cannot completely stop it.
Retrievers also have featherings around the neck, the back of the legs, the tail, and under the body.
These areas require a bit more work to maintain to prevent tangling.
So, now that you have learned about the Golden Retrievers coat, let us look at how you should groom him.;
You May Like: Trimming Golden Retrievers
How Often To Bathe Golden Retriever Dogs
Your dog needs to bath twice a month avoiding getting their ears wet as part of;their Golden Retriever grooming routine. It is highly recommended to brush their coat before you bathe to reduce the amount of hair and tangles. Bathing and grooming a Golden Retriever will assist in the removal of loose hair, making the job of cleaning up after a coat drop a little easier.;;A quality dog shampoo should be used for washing and if skin reactions occur, try a different product as there are many to choose on the market. Rinse off the shampoo carefully. Your dog will also require rinsing after swimming in chlorinated or salt water to avoid skin irritations.
It is important that Golden Retrievers are thoroughly dried after bathing, especially the ears and; tail. Goldens can get limber tail from cold water at the base of the tail which can be very sore and his tail will just hang, too painful to wag.
Brushing Your Goldens Teeth
A 2018 study carried out in dog breeding facilities to estimate the prevalence of periodontal disease among 42 breeds found that, of the 445 dogs, a whopping 86.3% had periodontal disease!
The previous fact should make one thing clear: dogs need regular dental care.;However, an alarming number of owners dont for whatever reason. Ill admit, I was one of those owners for so many years!
According to PetMD, brushing at least two to three times a week is recommended for all dogs, including Golden Retrievers. Professional dental care should also be sought at least once a year, if possible.
Neglecting your Goldens dental care exposes them to the same dental problems that affect humans, including gingivitis, periodontal disease, and gum recession. With a few minutes a week, you can prevent this unnecessary costs and pain.
Read Also: House Training Golden Retriever Puppies
Golden Retriever Nail Clipping
If you are planning on trimming your pets claws, doing it in the tub is a great idea. Many dogs stand still better for this job when they are in the bathtub.
Choose a nail trimmer for larger claws, such as Millers Forge Nail Clipper. If you can see the quick, or the live area inside the nail that features a blood vessel, clip just above that, removing the tip of the nail.
If you cant see the quicksay, your dog has very dark or black nailsanother method is to look at the underside of the claw. Near where the claw begins to curve, towards the tip, the dead section on the underside will be hollow, like a canoe. This hollow area can be safely trimmed. If you trim too close, and a drop of blood appears, simply apply a styptic powder, such as Remedy+Recovery Styptic Powder, to the area to stop the bleeding.
Different Golden Retriever Haircuts Styles
Now that you already have an idea of how to groom and trim down the hair of your Goldies, it is time to shape them up. Luckily, even dogs may enjoy various dogs haircuts styles. So, if you are excited to make your Goldies the next doggy fashionista, check these various Golden Retriever haircuts styles.
The Simple Doggy Haircut
Actually, this is the commonly employed Golden Retriever haircuts fashion that you would encounter along the way. Scissors and trimmers shears through clippers are highly needed here. Generally, the concept of this hairstyle cuts for Golden Retriever lies behind the cleanliness of the dogs coat. Aside from that, this Goldies haircut guarantees that there will no damage that may occur during the process of hair trimming.
The outcome of this haircut method aims to achieve a rounded cat-like appearance of your Goldies in contrast to the skinny look.
The Show Cut
The Teddy Golden Cut
The Summer Golden Cut
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Dog Food For Golden Retrievers
Dog Nail Grinder And Trimmer
Using the Dremel is a safer way to clip your dogs nails at home. It will be easier on your and your dog.
About this item:
- Easy to use, nail grooming kit solution Provides a safe & gentle alternative to pet nail clippers or a dog nail file. The nail grinding kit includes everything novice & experienced groomers need to trim their pets claws in the comfort of their home.
- Nail guard Features a 45 degree paw guide for optimal nail trimming angle & dust collection. Reducing the risk of clipping the claws too short or hurting your pet.
- Multiple grooming options: 9 piece grooming accessory set, for multiple nail grinding options. Patented EZ twist nose cap makes accessory changes easy.
- Rechargeable battery: Never run out of power. With the 4-volt Lithium-Ion battery and convenient USB charger. The nail grinder is ready to groom when you are.
- Lightweight & portable Cordless design & soft grip material gives you the confidence and freedom to groom anywhere.
- Simple to use Variable speed slide switch allows for precise control and grooming speed for your pets size and nail thickness.
- Whats in the kit 7760 4V Li-on cordless pet nail groomer, 9 piece accessories, USB charging cable & power adaptor, user manual, quick start guide, 2 year card; 5V power adaptor
What Youll Need To Feed Your Golden Retriever Puppy
Another thing you want to make sure youre well-prepared for before bringing your new golden retriever puppy home is feeding.
First, well cover what youll need for feeding. Then well list a few tips below for you that should help you out with feeding your new golden retriever puppy.
Here is what youll need to feed your puppy:
- #1 Puppy foodYour new dog will need puppy food. Start with the food that the puppys been eating, and when it is time for a change, make sure you start by mixing the new food brand into the old one. That way, your puppy wont get a tummy ache when you change the food.
- #2 Dog bowlsYoull need to purchase food and water bowl for your puppy.
- #3 Puppy treatsYoure going to need a lot of puppy treats when youre training your pup.
Purchase a High-Quality Dry Dog Food
If youre not sure where to start with healthy dry dog food, you can talk to your veterinarian or with the breeder or rescue center where you get your golden retriever.
Remember, if you decide you want to switch your dogs food, youll need to do that gradually over a few weeks so that your dog doesnt experience any tummy aches. Youll want to purchase a plentiful breed puppy food for your golden retriever puppy.
Feed Your Dog by Age and Weight
Adding Dog Food Extras
Create an Eating Area
Treat It Up
If you wind up feeding your dog too many treats, it wont want to eat its regular dog food anymore. So, make sure you keep treats to puppy-sized bites and use treats for training purposes.
Also Check: The Best Puppy Food For Golden Retrievers
Wahl Professional Animal Arco Pet Clipper
If youre looking for a cheaper Wahl dog clipper, I recommend the Animal Arco Clipper. This also sports the 5-in-1 adjustable blade that you can use in #9, #10, #15, #30, and #40.
For each charge, this clipper runs for up to 80 minutes. Each charge lasts for up to 75 minutes, but you can plug this in to continue clipping without the waiting time.
This clipper runs at 5,500 strokes per minute using a rotary motor. It trims nicely without snagging and pulling as long as you oil the blade.
Moreover, this clipper comes with two NiMH battery packs so you can remain cordless on long grooming periods.
Similar to the Bravura, the Animal Arco is 7.9 ounces heavy and 6.75 inches long. You will also receive four plastic comb guides, a cleaning brush, a manual, a blade oil, a charger, and a soft storage case. The clipper is covered by a one-year warranty as long as its purchased within the United States.
Lastly, I love how quiet this is, and it doesnt scare my senior Goldie. However, I wish they will improve the charging station included in the package. Other than that, this is a stellar clipper for a decent price.
Make Your Home Safe For Your Golden Retriever Puppy
An essential part of preparing for a new dog is to puppy-proof your home and yard before you bring your pooch to the house.
Youll need to make your home safe for a puppy and then keep it safe as your puppy becomes a dog because even older dogs get curious about things like the trash and get into trouble if you make it easy for them to do so.
Make sure your dog cant reach any electric cords, remove items from low tables where your puppy might reach them, and put away anything vital that you think might harm your dog.
Here are a few other items youll need for your golden retriever at your home:
- #4 Puppy padsWhile not everybody feels the need to buy these, they can come in handy while you are potty training your dog. If you have an especially lovely carpet, it might be a wise idea.
- #5 Puppy toysPuppies require several different types of toys to keep them busy. Chew toys are essential because your puppy will need to chew while teething. Your puppy can learn what is proper to chew and chew toys can help keep your puppy from chewing on your items. Make sure you buy the right size of toys for your golden retriever puppy. You dont want to purchase tiny toys that your dog might choke on.
- #6 Travel harnessYoull want this while you are riding with your dog in the car.
- #7 Baby gatesIf you want to keep your puppy out of individual rooms in your house, a;baby gate will be an idea.
You May Like: How To Make My Golden Retriever Gain Weight