Do Golden Retriever Shed
Golden Retrievers shed profusely, especially in the spring and fall. Daily brushing will get some of the loose hair out of the coat, keeping it from settling on your clothing and all over your house. But if you live with a Golden, you’ll have to get used to dog hair.
Have Any Questions About Health In Your Breed
If you have any concerns about a particular health condition in your breed then you may wish to speak to your vet or you could contact your breed health co-ordinator.Breed health co-ordinators are individuals working on behalf of breed clubs and councils who are advocates for the health and welfare of their chosen breed. They acts as a spokesperson on matters of health and will collaborate with The Kennel Club on any health concerns the breed may have.To contact your breed health co-ordinator please email:
Best Collars For Golden Retriever Puppies
Here is a list of the best collars for a golden retriever puppy that are safe and simple to use for a first-time parent. All of the collars on this list meet all the points I touched on earlier and so I encourage you to take a look at each carefully and make sure that it is the right one for you. Without any further ado, I give you the top 5 puppy collars for golden retrievers.
You May Like: Do Golden Retrievers Make Good Service Dogs
How To Find Golden Retriever Puppies In Your Area
If youre going to ask around, youll be surprised by how easy it is to find a Golden Retriever breeder near you. This will save you lots of money for shipping when you buy from an out-of-state breeder.
Below are some ways to find Goldens in your area:
- Ask for referrals. More often than not, the people we know may be familiar with breeders near us. They may have already bought a dog from these breeders so all you have to do is ask them to connect you with those they trust the most.
- Visit pet fairs. Pet fairs are often staged in parks or large facilities where breeders get a chance to show their available litters. They bring a selection of their Golden Retrievers and have you observe their physical traits and temperament before purchasing.
- Utilize social media or the internet. As cliché as it may sound, you can use the internet to find breeders near you. All you have to do is type in your location and some other specific keywords for you to be redirected to a list of breeders in your area. A word of caution, though, not all breeders youll find on the web is professional.
- Check local classifieds. Although this may not be your best option in finding a Golden Retriever, you can still try finding dogs using print and online pet classifieds in your location. You just have to be really careful in transacting so you wont end up buying a dog from puppy mills.
Best Puzzle Toys For Golden Retriever Puppies: Nina Ottosson Interactive Puzzle Game Dog Toys
This puzzle for dogs is a fun way for your pet to be challenged while getting treats in the process. Heres what you should know about it.
- Easy to clean
- This puzzle contains blocks that your dog can flip over or slide out of place to reveal treats underneath, so there are many ways in which your dog can play with it.
- It keeps your dog mentally stimulated and also physically active because he or she has to move the blocks. Its a great game for when your dogs got lots of energy and needs to work it off!
- When your dog gets used to playing with these blocks, you can increase the challenge by covering the blocks with their lids. This makes the puzzle last a longer time.
- The plastic bones, which are used to hide the treats for your dog, are removable. Some people who have purchased this puzzle toy have said theyre not of good quality as dogs are able to chew them.
- These puzzle pieces are really easy to clean just hand wash them with warm, soapy water.
This is one of the best toys for new puppies because its a fun challenge that will keep your golden retriever stimulated. It will continue to keep your golden retriever entertained even after theyve figured out how it works. Just keep hiding yummy treats under the blocks for your pooch!
Don’t Miss: Best Golden Retriever Breeders California
Gaylans Golden Retrievers North Carolina
Gaylans Golden Retrievers has quite an interesting history. The husband and wife who owns this kennel did not originally plan to breed Golden Retrievers but mares.
In the process of finding a horse to bring home, the wife named Gayle realized that her money isnt enough to pay for one. A horse owner even laughed at her face because she cannot afford it.
Just as when they are about to go home empty-handed, the husband thought of buying a Golden Retriever instead. Thus, begin their journey of breeding the best Golden Retrievers in the USA.
Currently, the kennel has been running for 20 years and is focused on producing multi-purpose Golden Retrievers and training them.
Theyre also collecting money to fund canine health research and taking part in rescuing unwanted and neglected Golden Retrievers.
Aside from all these acts, what makes Gaylans top our list is because over the years, they have already produced 100 titled Golden Retrievers and Gail Watkins has received the Gold-level AKC Breeder of Merit. Surely, this counts for something.
Here are some other reasons to choose this breeder:
- The puppies come with a warranty and sales contract.
- The breeding stock is evaluated for various diseases before having them reproduce.
- Different types of Golden Retrievers are available like companions, competition, and working puppies.
- All puppies are raised inside a home so they are well socialized.
Gaylans Golden Retrievers Breeder Information and Details:
Snowwater Retrievers Jamestown Pa
If you have a soft spot in your heart for English Cream golden retrievers, then SnowWater Retrievers offers exactly what you need. Specializing in golden retrievers that display white or light cream coats, SnowWater Retrievers caters to a highly discerning niche in the golden retriever market.
The sires and dams residing at this Jamestown breeder have been carefully selected for their traits and imported from all over the world to create ideal pups. If you desire a golden retriever puppy with a coat so white that it would raise the eyebrow of a dog show judge, then SnowWater Retrievers can satisfy your needs.
You May Like: What Color Will My Golden Retriever Be
Best Toys For Golden Retriever Puppies Reviews & Buying Guide For 2020
When your puppy starts to teeth, he or she will benefit from chew toys so that they dont attack your shoes and furniture! These chew toys from Sharlovy are the best to purchase. Heres why.
- Promotes oral health
- This is not just one toy but a pack of 14 chew toys. The pack includes an IQ treat ball, a rubber dog toothbrush stick, a rubber bone, a frisbee, a banana toy, and nine cotton tug rope dog toys, so there are a range of toys to interest your dog.
- The rubber toothbrush and bone toys have soft spikes so that your dog can soothe their teething pain and get relief.
- As a bonus, these toys are also good for your dogs oral health. They clean teeth while also removing dental plaque to prevent tooth decay.
- The IQ treat ball will be fun for your dog to use and play with to get snacks. It also makes squeaking sounds that will keep your pet entertained.
- The banana toy is stuffed with crinkle paper and it has a squeaker inside it to make it more fun for your dog to play with.
- Some people who have purchased these toys for their dog have reported that they werent very durable. So, if your pooch likes to tear things to shreds, these are probably not the toys for him or her.
- Other people have reported that the toys had a chemical smell. Its a good idea to air them out and wash them well before giving them to your pet.
- The woven dog toys contain hand-made woven cotton.
- The frisbee and toothbrush toy are made of natural rubber.
Getting A Golden Retriever Puppy
Choosing to adopt or go through a breeder for your new golden retriever puppy is a personal choice that requires research. Thankfully, there are many resources out there to help you find a rescue or breeder that offers healthy, ethically-sourced golden retriever puppies.
Knowing what youre in for when you get a golden retriever puppy is an important step in being a responsible pet owner. Whether you find a responsible breeder or are planning on adopting, its up to you to be prepared for an energetic and friendly addition to your household.
Also Check: Best Golden Retriever Breeders California
What Do Golden Retrievers Like To Play With
Golden retrievers are very playful and as their parent you know that you can usually find them with something in their mouths!
These dogs love a range of toys, such as sticks or balls. When it comes to toys you can buy for your puppies, its worth bearing in mind that golden retrievers will love to play with plush toys.
These dogs love to bite and chew, so soft toys they can tug and pull will appeal to them and prevent them from going hunting for other items around the house that they can destroy.
Since your golden retriever is highly active, he or she can become bored easily. This means you should purchase puzzle toys for them to keep them mentally stimulated.
A great example of a puzzle toy is the Nina Ottosson puzzle that we featured in our buying guide. Puzzle toys are also great for puppies because they help them to develop skills.
Questions To Ask About The Puppies
How do you socialize the puppies?
Theres a lot of handling and exposure to different things in the world that breeders can do to help raise a well-socialized puppy. A good breeder will be able to talk to you about this.
Where are the puppies born and raised?
Are they raised in the home, or out back in the shed?
Will they be examined by a vet before they go home?
The answer should be yes.
What are the puppies bred for?
This may include being bred for companions , or show, sport, or hunting.
Read Also: Are Golden Retrievers Easy To Potty Train
Golden Retriever Puppy Likes To Chew Things
Golden Retrievers are a type of dogs that love to chew things they can find in your house. They love to chew some stuff inside your home when they are bored.
They are popular on possessing a chewing habit, so if you want to buy a golden retriever puppy, make sure that you have resistant toys that were made up by heavy chewers that will not let her make feel so bored.
Put your remote controls, clothes, kitchen utensils, shoes, small pillows or telephones in a safe place or else your golden retriever will create these things very messy.
Also, put your garbage bins in the cabinet or in an area that your dog will not reach.
Do not let your golden retrievers ate the human food leftovers or else. It might cause harm to your puppy.
Also, hide all the electric cables that were located inside your house before you bring your new golden puppy. This is for your safety and the safety of your new puppy.
How To Find The Best Golden Retriever Breeders
Once you decide to get a golden retriever, the next logical decision is where to find the best golden retriever breeders and where to get a baby golden retriever form. While there are many choices available, several can be quickly ruled out.
The best place to get a golden retriever is from a reliable breeder. The great ways to find the best golden retriever breeders are through such things as internet research, golden retriever magazines or recommendations from area vets. Once youve narrowed the field down, the next step is to inspect perspective breeders facilities.
A good breeder will have a generally clean facility with plenty of space for the number of golden retrievers. Generally some level of untidiness is acceptable, as its impossible to pick up after every golden retriever every minute, but the puppies should be kept in a clean, safe environment.
Remember that a good breeder is in the business because they have a true love of the breed. As such, they will ask you many questions to ensure that the breed is the right choice for you. They will want to be sure that you have enough time and earn enough money to care for that breed, as well as making sure that you are aware of any health risks associated with the breed. If a breeder does not question you, do not buy a puppy from them.
Read Also: How Do You Trim A Golden Retriever At Home
Your Golden Retriever Puppy Needs Proper Grooming
The goldens have a short coat that is silky. The silken short oat of the golden retriever puppy can turn into a medium length with just a short period.
When your puppy is at a younger age, it will be good for you if you will begin the daily brushing habit immediately.
This habit will be beneficial for you and your puppy when the time comes that it will be a necessity for you to brush the double coat hair of your golden retrievers.
It can also decrease the amount of shed hair from your new puppy.
Your retriever puppy does not always need to take a bath daily unless they become smelly or messy.
Your puppy needs a mild shampoo that will suit to your puppys young skin and hair. Make him or her dry through the use of a towel.
If you are living in a cold environment, it will be better if you let your puppys hair to dry naturally.
If it is vital, with the help of a blow dryer, you can dry your puppys hair quickly, but make sure that the blow dryer is in its lowest mode.
Where Can You Find Golden Retriever Dogs For Sale
- Area kennel clubs are excellent sources of information about local breeders.
- Obedience training clubs in your area may also offer advice and recommendations for breeders.
- Veterinarians, groomers, boarding kennel operators, and pet supply outlets can also be good sources of information.
Using newspaper classified ads to locate a breeder is a gamble. Few responsible breeders advertise their Golden Retriever dogs for sale in local classified ads because they have no trouble placing their dogs, sometimes years in advance. Beware that most breeders who advertise their dogs for sale in these sections are amateurs who know little about their breeds.
Pet shops and internet advertisers may obtain their dogs through puppy mills so please be vigilant and do not support this trade. Continue scrolling to watch Oprahs episode on puppy mills. Ignorance is no excuse to allow the puppy mills to continue.
You May Like: How Often Should Golden Retrievers Be Groomed
How Much Does A Golden Retriever Cost Puppy Prices And Expenses
Golden Retrievers are not as expensive as other purebreds like Rottweilers or Tibetan Mastiffs. They only cost around $500 to $2,000 depending on several factors like the breeders reputation, guarantees, certification, etc.
Of course, if you want a dog from a champion bloodline, that would be more costly. Usually, their price range is between $2,000 to $3,000.
Aside from this initial cost, you also have to provide some necessary items for your pup.
Heres the price breakdown of these items Im talking about:
Things To Get Before You Bring Your New Puppy Home
When you bring your puppy home, the last thing you want to do is wait for Amazon to deliver something that you need right away, like poop bags or pee cleaner.
Its best to get these things before you bring your puppy home.
Heres what youll need, as well as links for where to get them:
To learn more about these products, like why we chose these specific ones, or why theyre necessary, check out our article about golden retriever puppy supplies.
Next up is another thing to do before you bring your puppy home
Golden Retriever Breeder Research
A responsibly bred Golden Retriever puppy will usually cost you upwards of $1000 in the USA .
However, this price will be considerably higher for show quality dogs. It will also vary depending on your location and demand.
Dont forget that the cost of sale is just the beginning. Your biggest expense is likely to be annual pet health insurance. Its a good idea to get some quotes in for this it will be several hundred dollars a year.
You can find breeders through your national Golden Retriever breed club. Here are a few Golden Retriever breed clubs from around the world:
Finding the breeders is the first step. But, you also need to ensure they are a good and reputable breeder, not just someone trying to make a quick profit.
Teaching Your Golden Retriever Puppy To Wait
The practice of patience: Waiting. What a lesson to teacheven for humans.
For your puppy, waiting means not moving when we move away. But you can also use this lesson later on for things like waiting at doors, before you let them out of the car, or in their crate. Unfortunately, using it for teaching them to wait on tables is way past their learning capabilities.
There are two aspects to teaching your puppy to wait:
First, well work on duration.
Now, lets practice distance.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Trim A Golden Retriever At Home