What Should You Look For When Buying A Golden Retriever Leash
To pick a leash, you should understand how a leash does more than walk your golden retriever. It becomes a tool to train your dog with, and a $30 leash with fancy decorations on it doesnt accomplish the principal purpose: Controlling your dog on a walk.
Different leashes will serve a different function, and you should understand what kind of training you have in mind for your golden retriever. You have two types of leashes: the regular dog leash and the retractable leash. Both of these leashes have their benefits and disadvantages.
For example, the regular dog leash teaches your dog basic obedience and walking right, but it will not correct the dog when walking a long distance. This leash hands you the maximum level of control.
Retractable leashes can stretch itself for up to 30 feet. However, it wont control your dog.
When To Start Running With Golden Retrievers
You should wait until your Golden Retriever is around 18 months old before you start running with them. Before this age, their bones and muscles are still growing and developing. The growth plates on the bones cannot handle the impact and stress of the long runs. Intense running at a young age can lead to joint problems, like hip dysplasia later in life.
You can spend the first year and a half with your Goldie leash training them and getting them used to walking along at your side. Building a solid foundation of obedience training will guarantee that your puppy will grow into a great running partner.
Tools Youll Need To Teach Your Dog To Walk On A Leash
Heres what youll need to begin training your golden retriever to walk on a leash:
A quick note on the treats: the treats need to be something your dog loves, something that is quick to deliver, and something that wont take your dog forever to chew and swallow.
For young puppies, often their kibble is enough, but for dogs that are having a tough time with walking on a leash or ignoring distractions, youll need something of higher value, like chicken.
Read Also: Golden Retriever Retrieving
Using A Retractable Leash
If you walk your golden retriever on a retractable leash, youre automatically reinforcing pulling. How so? It teaches your dog that the more they pull, the further the leash goes, so the instinct to pull becomes ingrained as a habit.
If you do use a retractable leash, switch it out to a regular leash and donate your retractable one to your local animal shelter. There are very few cases when youll need to use it, and its better to get rid of the temptation for good.
Best Basic Leash For Golden Retrievers: Primal Pet Gear Dog Leash
For loose-leash walking, nothing beats a simple 6-foot flat leash. But this model has a couple bonus features: a padded handle and an additional traffic handle for extra control when crossing the street.
Golden Retriever owner review:We rescued a Golden Retriever who hadnt walked on the leash at all. When we went on walks with a traditional leash, he would pull me all of the time! However, with the shorter handle, he walked on a leash like an angel, and it was very manageable.
Don’t Miss: Golden Retriever Puppies Howling
How To Measure Your Dog For A Harness
Weve already written a comprehensive guide to measuring your dog for a harness here. However, this is a summary for your Golden Retriever.
- Measure the widest part of the chest with a tape measure. This will be a few inches before the front legs. Make sure you wrap the tape all the way around.
- Add a few inches to the total. This will allow for some movement as well as growth. You want a harness that lasts, so you dont want to buy a new one every time your dog puts on a little weight.
- Measure your dogs neck. Measure the circumference of the neck with a tape measure. Depending on the harness type, you may not need to do this but for those that go on over the dogs head you need to check it will a) fit without straining b) will not slip off.
Measuring your dog is crucial. Too tight and the dog harness will be uncomfortable. Too loose and it could slip off leaving you holding a harness and leash but no dog. If you find yourself between two different harness sizes its often suggested picking the larger of the two and using the adjustment straps.
Donât Miss: The Best Puppy Food For Golden Retrievers
Mighty Paw Neoprene Padded Dog Collar Reflective Running Dog Collar Premium Quality Sports Collar Extra Comfort For Active Dogs
as of December 31, 2021 2:31 pm
- Mighty Paw Sport Collar: The dog collar was built specifically with the athletic dog in mind. Discover what active dog owners are raving about as their dog enjoys the ultimate comfort when running, jogging, hiking, swimming, and walking.
- Premium Quality: Mighty Paw Sport Collar is constructed with material chosen for its toughness and durability. The Sport Collar is guaranteed to withstand the outdoor elements and will resist the forces of the most energetic, powerful, and playful dogs.
- Neoprene Padding: This unique feature provides cushion and improved traction for maximum comfort during higher level activities.
- Reflective Stitching: For safety, we added a reflective thread stitched along the length of the collar to increase visibility when the sun goes down.
- Born in the USA: Mighty Paw is owned and operated out of Rochester NY.
Read Also: Golden Retriever Double Coat
Look At Walks As Training Sessions
Every walk can be an opportunity for your dog to be taught better manners. Keep in mind that your dog may become overly tired with the walking and the learning, so be sure to keep the sessions short and fun.
Dogs will repeat behavior that gets reinforced, so it’s important to ensure that your golden retriever is not being rewarded for pulling on his leash. For example, if he pulls on the leash because he wants to sniff at a bush or greet a person on the street, and you let him do it, then he will continue to pull. You have just reinforced his bad behavior. So if you feel your golden retriever pulling you in one direction, you need to plant your feet and not move, until he returns to you. If your dog is very strong, you can start walking in the opposite direction. As soon as he is walking next to you calmly, you can turn around and go in the direction he wants. Dogs are smart creatures, and golden retrievers are no exception. They are quick learners, and eager to please you. The tips in this article, coupled with patience and determination, not to mention treats, will help you train your golden retriever not to pull and make your walks enjoyable for the both of you.
Best For Pullers: Leashboss Heavy Duty Dog Leash For Large Dogs
If your dog is an extreme puller, you will want to opt for a leash designed specifically for control and guidance. The Leashboss has a handle built-in that curbs tugging and pulling, and gives the walker more control and strength over a headstrong dog. The leash comes in four different colors and is five feet in length, with a sturdy handle at 18″. The company also provides a five-year no hassle warranty against wear and tear, or if it simply doesnt work for your dog. Though this leash can work for any size pup, it works best for dogs over 40 lbs.
Reviewers say it works to stop pulling with dogs as large as 120 lbs, with many owners agreeing its the most control theyve ever had over their strong-willed pups. Some owners recommend pairing this leash with a heavy duty collar to get the most benefit.
With a padded glove-like handle, the EzyDog offers ultimate comfort for every pet owner. Its a great choice for runners and joggers who dont want to focus on gripping a standard leash. It has a shock-reducing bungee that takes some of the strain away if a dog lunges or pulls incessantly. The EzyDog is adjustable from 36″ to 48″ and the glove fits any size hand. Its also a great choice for dog owners who suffer from arthritis or other hand conditions, as it reduces the need to grip tightly around a thin nylon leash.
Also Check: Golden Retriever Training Age
Are Golden Retrievers Good Off
There are many off-leash activities that I wanted to try with my first golden retriever but I was too worried to go outside with them without a leash on them.
However, I know that my golden retriever is a pretty smart dog but I wanted to know if goldens are one of the breeds that are actually good off-leash so I looked it up, and here is everything that you need to know.
So, are golden retrievers good off-leash? Yes, golden retrievers are good off-leash, they are highly obedient and eager to please so if you train them to walk off-leash, they will never leave you to chase small animals, however, its always better to keep your golden on leash in crowded and open areas.
Keep reading to learn when you can train your golden retriever to walk off-leash and how to teach them.
Funtags 6ft Reflective Dog Leash With Soft Padded Handle For Trainingwalking Lead For Medium & Small Dogs3/4 Inch Widered
$ as of December 31, 2021 2:31 pm
- COMFORT PADDED HANDLES: Easy to grip padded handle is comfortable on your hand.Just enjoy the feeling walks with your dog and protect your hand from rope burn.
- REFLECTIVE AND NYLON MATERIAL: Nylon fabric with high density webbing to add durability. Luminous reflective threading through the full dog leashes enhances super high visibility and would be reflective when lights shine on them at night. Walking in the dark would be safe.
- 360° ROTATING CLASP: Swivel clasp prevents the leash from twisting and dog getting tangled, allowing your dog to get enough freedom. you to get a good control of your dogs.
- IDEAL LENGTH AND WIDTH:6ft long leash allows your puppy to have enough space to walk. The 3/4″width suitable for small to medium dogs, 1.0″width suitable for medium to large dogs.
- PERFECT COMBINATION: This dogs leash is a single product. We make nylon collar in various colors to match our beautiful leash. The matching collar is available by search the asin “B07Z69ZJF1 ” .
Also Check: Shave Golden Retriever
How To Make The Leash A Pleasure Thing For Your Golden Retriever
Keeping your Golden Retriever on a leash is not synonymous with constraint and difficulties. You can easily walk your Golden Retriever on a leash and make this walk a real moment of relaxation, pleasant and privileged for you and your dog.
To achieve this result, I advise you to train your Golden Retriever as soon as possible and very gradually to walk on a leash. And if you want the training to be done in the best possible conditions, just like the choice of collar or harness, the choice of leash is essential.
You must choose the right equipment according to the use you will have and the specificities of your Golden Retriever . With this post, we will help you to select the best equipment for your Golden Retriever.
Also Check: How Much To Feed A Golden Retriever Dog
Benefits Of Running With Your Golden Retriever
There are a number of benefits you and your dog will enjoy by going running together:
- Lower stress levels. People that regularly run with their dogs experience less stress and manage their mental health better. Daily exercise also lowers stress levels in dogs. Especially if they stay home alone all day.
- Cardiovascular health. Regular exercise is important for keeping your heart and respiratory system healthy. Running is a great cardiovascular exercise for you and your best friend.
- Increased sense of productivity and motivation. There are two things that are proven to increase the levels of happy hormones and chemicals in our brain: dogs and exercise. Put the two together and feel your sense of purpose and motivation soar.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Going running with your dog will help you both stay in the best physical shape. Regular exercise is key to maintaining healthy body weight.
You May Like: Golden Retriever Shepherd Mix
Braided Leather Leash For Dogs That Pullby Fairwin
This is another leather leash that is strong enough to handle even the strongest pullers, including breeds like German Shepherds and Pit Bulls. The leash is handmade from full-grain leather and has a soft top layer to make it more comfortable. Since it is made from real leather, the leash is very stylish, but it also means that it only comes in one color.
However, the leash is available in four different sizes, and it is elastic enough to provide some shock absorption and protect you from sudden pulls. The hooks are made from pure copper with alloy casting, and they are quite simple and practical. The leash also has tensile resistance that can sustain 500 lbs pull force.
The leash is 5.6 ft long, which is pretty much the standard. Unfortunately, this leash doesnt have a second handle to grasp in traffic, and the handle is not very comfortable. And while I didnt have any problems with it when I used it, some dog owners reported that the leash broke and was not durable enough.
»PROS: Available In Different Sizes, Stylish, Real Leather, Strong Tensile Resistance, Suitable for All Sizes, Offers Some Shock Absorption
«CONS: Only Available In One Color, Not Reflective, Only One Handle, Reports of Leash Breaking Up
How To Deal With Pulling Problems Best Leash For Golden Retriever Puppy
There are plenty of ways to stop your puppy from tugging at the leash, but it will require you to train them. There are plenty of ways to do this while you are taking them for a walk. Give commands such as sit and stay. Help your puppy understand your instructions.
It is crucial to reward them often with some treats when they follow your commands. They eventually make a connection between the treat and the command. If you find that your puppy is afraid to go out for a walk, it may be the best option to put some treats along the way, so they know that pleasurable experiences are coming.
Also Check: German Shepherd Golden Retriever Puppy
What Is A Dogs Collar For Anyway
This might seem like a silly question, but its good to start with the basics! What is a dogs collar for and why do they need one?
One of the primary purposes for many people is to attach a leash for walking their dog. However, not everyone walks their dog on a collar. Many people opt to use a harness or halter to walk their dog, as they can offer more control or increased comfort for the dog. So, does your dog still need a collar? In short, yes.
The main reason your dog should always be wearing a collar when theyre out is so that if they get lost, they have an ID tag with your name, address and contact details on it.
Your pup should be wearing a tag even if theyre micro-chipped, because any good Samaritan can read this info, whereas they would have to be taken to a vets office or animal control to have their microchip read. In some areas, its even a legal requirement for your dog to be wearing this kind of tag.
In places where licensing your dog is an option or a requirement youd also need to affix the license to their collar.
Few Training Tips For Your Puppy
- Pro Tip: If your puppy starts pulling stop walking & standstill on a place and first let your puppy come closer. Once he comes closer praise him , the leash is now loose so start walking again, do this consistently and youll be happy that your puppy will never pull on a leash now. )
- Bond your puppy with exploding new places together.
- Can also watch those 2 youtube vids linked above. Those cover the 90% Training tips.
Read Also: How Fast Can Golden Retrievers Run
Choke Chains And Prong Collars
There are some collars that pinch or tighten around your dogs neck when the leash is pulled from either end.
These collars are extremely dangerous when used incorrectly as they can damage a dogs windpipe, neck or spine, and in some cases, even choke the dog to death.
With todays modern training methods, there is no reason to ever use choke chains or similar products. Instead, use compassion, understanding and patience to teach your dog how to properly walk on a leash.
So we will leave the discussion of these collars right there.
Walk Without Pulling Golden Retriever Positive Dog Tips
If you have an energetic Golden Retriever that enjoys pulling, always begin with the Start and Stop Method. If your Golden tries to get ahead of you suddenly, turn and walk in the other direction.
Now your Golden is right behind you, suddenly wanting to catch up to you. As your Golden Retriever gets next to you, click and reward with his favorite treat. The click marks the behavior or position youre wanting from your Golden Retriever.
This method always works because all dogs dont like retracing their steps on a walk. They love sniffing out new territory and new scents. That said, your Golden Retriever learns to move forwards without pulling, and will rewarded with a treat if hes right next to your side.
Also Check: Golden Retrievers Shedding