Specific Dog Bed Needs For Golden Retrievers
Now weve covered the core features, its time to consider the breed specific features youll want to look for when picking a bed for your golden retriever.
A few of the most important things to think about include:
- Pick a bed thats appropriate for your climate. Lucky for most golden retrievers, their thick fur coats will usually keep them warm enough while sleeping indoors in winter. But they can struggle to stay cool in the warmer months, so look for an elevated bed or one that uses a foam base that doesnt trap heat. These make great summer dog beds, and many doggos will love using them all year long.
- Pick a bed that provides good support. Golden retrievers are prone to joint pain, caused by things like arthritis and hip dysplasia. As Fido reaches his ahem, golden years, , a supportive bed will be an absolute essential towards his quality of life.
- Look for a bed thats waterproof or water-resistant. Water and bodily fluids can ruin some beds, so always look for one with a water-resistant or waterproof cover. That way, whether your golden has just had a bath, spent the day hunting and retrieving birds, or occasionally struggles with incontinence, his bed will hold up just fine.
Best Friends By Sheri Calming Donut Dog Bed
Youve got a large dog who loves sleeping all the time? If this is the case, Best Friends by Sheri The Original has to be your priority. Thanks to the round design, introducing maximum comfort and protection. This ones got to be the most minimalistic yet best value for money design in our list of luxury dog beds for large dogs.
If you prefer a bed that offers additional orthopedic support, the bolstered edge would definitely attract your eyes. No more muscle and joint pain.
The extra filling ensures a healthy sleep for your beloved companion. Whether youre thinking to wash in a washer or dryer, youll never face any quality issues. Lastly, if you prefer the elegant luxury dog beds that match your home décor, youll love the fact that it comes in many different colors.
Time to adorn your home with this stunning dog bed.
Some Questions You Need To Consider
There are some important things you should ask yourself when buying a dog bed for your Golden Retriever. These include:
- What size of bed does your Golden Retriever need?
- What type of material will be the most comfortable for your Golden Retriever?
- Is the bed liner removable for washing?
- What kind of materials are used for stuffing?
- Whether the bed you are choosing for your Golden Retriever will last for an extended period?
Don’t Miss: English Canadian And American Golden Retriever
K& h Pet Products Memory Foam Bed
Golden retrievers make wonderful pets theyre very friendly, loyal, and active. After they finish exercising for the day, golden retrievers love to take long and luxurious naps.
Its important to have a comfortable and supportive bed for your golden retriever. In this article, well discuss the best dog beds for golden retrievers, as well as how to choose a great golden retriever dog bed.
Can It Be Cleaned
One of the reasons you bought a Golden Retriever is the beautiful coat of hair . But cleaning up the hair it sheds is a never-ending task.
Needless to say, a lot of hair ends up on a dog bed. Think about whether the bed youre considering can be cleaned easily. Does the cover come off for washing? Is the fabric prone to attracting and trapping hair?
If you have an elderly dog thats prone to incontinence, look for a bed with a waterproof covering. Some beds actually have two covers, with the inner cover being waterproof.
Don’t Miss: How Long To Feed Golden Retriever Puppy Food
What To Consider When Looking For A Bed
If your golden retriever does not have any of the above health conditions, there are still some things to consider when looking for the ideal bed.
This one is simple: if your dog does not find its bed comfortable, it wont sleep in it.
Look for a bed that is firm, but not hard, and is thick enough that it will not flatten under the weight of your dog.
Golden retrievers, like most dogs, love to dig, chew, and scratch. When getting a bed for your golden, make sure that its durable and that your dog will not rip or chew it apart.
Some things to look for when checking if a bed is durable are whether it uses ripstop nylon fabric, is multi-layered, or has heavy-duty zippers. Some beds will even be made with an anti-chew material which is a great option if your dog is an extreme chewer.
3. Indoor/Outdoor Use
Golden retrievers are highly active dogs who need lots of exercise. If you spend a lot of time outside with your dog hiking, camping, in the yard, by the lake, etc. its a good idea to get a bed that is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
These beds will be easily portable, as well as tough and weatherproof.
Having a bed that is washable will make your life so much easier when your dog comes inside wet, with muddy feet, or after spending the afternoon rolling around outside.
It is recommended that you wash your dogs bed every one to two weeks, but you may find that you need to wash it more frequently depending on your dog.
Dogbed4less Memory Foam Dog Bed
The Dogbed4less Memory Foam Dog Bed is a basic memory foam bed for large dogs. Its made with a 4-inch orthopedic memory foam pad that is gel-infused for temperature control, which keeps your dog comfortable year-round. It also has a soft micro-suede fabric cover and a second outer cover with a non-slip bottom, as well as an inner waterproof liner designed to protect the foam. The problem is that the waterproof liner doesnt work at all, so the foam can be easily damaged by any type of liquid that soaks through.
Another issue with the bed is the outer cover, which is not durable enough for dogs that chew and scratch at beds. The cover also has a cheap zipper that may break in the washing machine, which also jams frequently when youre trying to zip it back on the bed. The foam pad may have a strong chemical smell like other average quality beds, so youll have to air this one out for a little while.
If youre looking for a high-quality memory foam bed that will fully support your Golden Retriever, we recommend trying the PetFusion Ultimate bed for better results.
- Removable Micro-suede cover and non-slip cover
- Strong chemical smell from the foam
- Not durable for dogs that chew and scratch
- Waterproof lining does not work
- Cheap zipper may break in the wash
A Little About Materials Used
When youre looking for the best bed for your Golden Retriever, it is a good idea to choose something with a denim cover over the bed. This ensures that the bed is made of heavy duty materials.
Another thing to note is that a dog bed should be washable so that you can keep it neat and tidy in case of any accidents that happen.
Are There Any Limitations Due To The Golden Retrievers Size
Golden Retrievers can adapt to most living situations rather well. However, because the breed is typically very active and loves the outdoors, they tend to do better in homes with more space and a backyard. Of course, farms or acreages are particularly well suited.
However, all Golden Retrievers still need structured exercise, and throwing them in the backyard does not qualify. They need to be walked or exercised daily.
The Golden can do well in apartments and condos, although small living areas may pose greater issues. Due to space limitations, the Golden will need a much more structured daily exercise routine to ensure its physical needs are met.
The biggest issue with apartments and condos is that many communities have restrictions on dogs, either not allowing them or imposing size limitations.
Suppose the community does allow a Golden Retriever. In that case, its crucial to ensure that the Golden is well trained and exercised to ensure no complaints come from neighbors due to a large, loud barking, and unruly dog.
Owners should also consider their physical limitations. Children and some adults may find the size of the Golden a bit hard to handle. Like any medium-large dog breed, a Golden must be trained to be respectful on the leash and in the home.
A small 20-pound puppy may easily be handled. Its another story when you have a rebellious 75 pound adolescent on the other end of the leash.
Also Check: Golden Retriever Puppies For Sale In Savannah Ga
Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed
About: The Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed is a great choice for owners and goldens living in warm climates, thanks to its elevated design. By holding your pet off the ground, air will flow beneath the bed, and it will prevent your dogs hips, knees, and elbows from digging into the floor.
- Breathable high-density polyethylene fabric keeps your canine cool
- Elevated dog bed that can be used indoors or outdoors
- Fabric is made from recyclable materials and is GREENGUARD Certified
- Powder-coated steel frame is strong yet lightweight
- Easy-to-clean dog bed just spray it down with a hose and let it air dry
- Available in 3 sizes and 5 colors
- Versatile and can be used just about anywhere
- Great for use in hot climates
- Quite affordable and provides good value
- Its not suitable for goldens over 100 pounds
- Some dogs may not like the elevated design
Dog Bed Size For Golden Retriever
When looking at Golden Retriever bed size, never assume that the maxim, one size fits all applies here.
Golden retriever beds come with many different fillings and in lots of different styles.
Every dogs requirements will be slightly different and this will influence the size dog bed your pup needs.
As a general rule of thumb, you should be looking at beds for large dogs.
Large dog beds are made to fit dogs that weigh between 70 and 90 pounds and will therefore accommodate an average-size Golden Retriever.
Don’t Miss: Golden Retriever Grooming Needs
Chicken Soup For The Soul Large Breed Adult Dog Food
Chicken Soup for the Soul is one of 9 recipes included in our review of the Chicken Soup for the Soul product line.
- First 5 ingredients: Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, cracked pearled barley
- Type: Grain-inclusive < /
- Profile: Maintenance
- Best for:Adult goldens
Chicken Soup for the Soul Large Breed Adult acquires the better part of its animal protein from poultry. Dry matter label analysis reveals the recipe contains 26% protein, 13% fat and 53% estimated carbs yielding a fat-to-protein ratio of about 52%.
This formula also derives its antioxidants naturally from fruits and vegetables for healthy immunity which supports greater resistance to disease. A top pick for golden retrievers and other breeds weighing more than 50 pounds at maturity. Another
Sample buyer reviewMy lover boy is a Giant Breed so its important he get the nutrition he needs to support proper growth. At 22 Months we finally moved to Adult Large Breed from Chicken Soups Large Puppy formula. Hes had just about every top kibble out there, from Victor, Blue Buffalo, Diamond, Wellness Core, Royal Canin, Eagle Pack, even Costcos and Purina ProPlan because Presa Canario Breeders recommended them . He would either have runny poop after transition or stop eating it. CS was the first he stayed on happily without needing extra dress up. He LOVES the adult formula. Its priced right and I love the ingredients.
You May Like: How Often To Bathe Golden Retriever
What Size Dog Bed
Wait for a time when your dog is napping comfortably either in their old dog bed, on the floor or on the sofa. Try to only do this when you know they are lightly napping and not in a deep sleep. If theyre deep in sleep you could startle them.
Grab your measuring tape and approach your dog. Take a look to see if they are in their normal sleeping position. For example, curled up or stretched out. If they are not in their normal position, wait until they are. Measure the length of your sleeping dog in centimetres. This may be from their nose to the tips of their feet if stretched out or the outside of their body if curled up.
Now that you have this measurement, you will use this to determine the size of your dogs new bed.Please note: this is not guaranteed to find the perfect bed for your dog down to the last millimetre. Its simply an equation you can use to make sure the bed is big enough for your pup.
- Take the measurement of your dog whilst sleeping and add 25cm.
- This new measurement will be roughly the size of bed you are searching for.
The style of bed is just as important as the size. We dont mean what colour or pattern The style considers the shape and support that the bed offers. Dogs sleep in different ways and because of this a different style bed will accommodate their needs.
Don’t Miss: Golden Retriever Southern California
What Size Bed Does A Golden Retriever Need
Always keep in mind that the bed you are looking forward to get has a size chart listed below in the product description and that will definitely help you! The dog beds dont follow a single pattern of size some are in inches, smalllarge, and a few in XL/XXL well just refer to the size chart, and you are done!
Laifug Orthopedic Memory Foam Extra Large Dog Bed
Last but not least is the Laifug dog bed. This bed is a fantastic option for dogs with arthritis or other joint issues.
This high end dog bed comes with some of the firmest memory foam available. The mix of super soft foam and memory foam layers is touted to retain 90% of its shape for the first 3 years of use. While most orthopedic dog beds begin to shrink over time, this bed bucks the trend.
The cover on this bed has a microfiber liner to absorb small amounts of liquid. Beneath this layer is a waterproof liner protecting the foam. This is one of the few beds that is actually waterproof.
Because the memory foam retains its form so well, removing and applying the cover can be difficult. The zippers are high quality so you can use force if needed. However it is worth noting that removing the cover may take some effort.
If you are looking to purchase a bed that will last many years this one is worth considering. The quality of this product and the simplicity of the design make it built to last.
Also Check: Golden Retriever Heritage
Majestic Pet Sherpa Bagel Dog Bed Best Value
The Majestic Pet 78899561241 Sherpa Bagel Dog Bed is a great bed for your Golden without overspending on a premium brand bed. The bed is an oval-shaped bagel with the sides comfortably stuffed with polyester fill to give your dog something to lean against or curl up in. Inside the bed is an extra-thick 9-inch cushion, which is also lined with Sherpa material for extra comfort. The outer layer feels soft to the touch and its made with a durable cotton-polyester blend that wont rip after a week of use.
The best feature about this bed is that the entire thing is machine washable, which can get rid of any dog smells that may accumulate over time. The problem with the bed is with the Sherpa material that sheds a bit, especially after going through a full cycle in the washing machine. Another problem this bed has is the filling may bunch up after being washed, which is why we kept it out of our #1 spot on our list. Besides these two issues, we recommend the Majestic Pet bagel bed as the best dog bed for Golden Retrievers for the money.
- Sherpa material may start to shed
- Filling may bunch up after wash
What Makes A Good Dog Bed
- Durability. Golden Retrievers are large dogs with plenty of energy. Finding a bed that can hold up to heavy use is important. Accidents and spills can happen so finding a bed that is at least water resistant will save you some heartache. We created a guide for the best waterproof dog beds. Check it out if you have a puppy still in training.
- Support and Comfort. Your pet bed should be the most comfortable spot your dog is allowed to have in the house. Otherwise you might find your Golden Retriever bypassing the dog bed for the couch. Support is also critical for the long term health of your dog. Big dog breeds tend to develop achy joints more quickly than small dog breeds.
- Appropriately Sized. Usually there is room for error if you pick a bed that is too big. However if you pick one that is too small your dog will probably use it as a pillow and lay on the floor. Most beds have easy size charts based on the weight of your dog. If your Golden Retriever pup is still growing you should pick a bed based on the expected adult weight of your dog.
- Easily Cleanable. As a dog owner and retriever owner I find this to be the most important factor for my dogs bed. All beds will need to be cleaned with regularity. A bed that is machine washable with a cover that is easily removed is ideal. You will also want to pick a bed that holds up well with frequent washing. Check out our guide on how to wash a dog bed.
Don’t Miss: Golden Retriever Lab Mix Puppies